1620 – 1783

After the lost battle at Bílá Hora, the Martinic family took posession of the ample garden and vineyard. In 1666, the family donated the estate to the pious Theatines, an Italian order founded by St. Kajetan, after whom the estate was named. It was the Theatines who gave the VILLA its current form and added the distinctive Orangery in 1760.

An engraving of Prague from 1685
An engraving of Prague from 1685

Kajetánka is visible on the far left, see next picture for the detail

press to zoom
A detail of Prague engraving (1685)
A detail of Prague engraving (1685)

Kajetánka was a monastery with a vineyard at that time

press to zoom
1940
1940

Kajetánka Villa just before devastating fire

press to zoom
An engraving of Prague from 1685
An engraving of Prague from 1685

Kajetánka is visible on the far left, see next picture for the detail

press to zoom
Over four centuries the grand estate Kajetánka has sat nestled above the red rooftops and tall spires of Mala Strana, a graceful reminder of a more diginified way of living from time past. Through the years, the lush grounds of the estate have laid unspoilt, and even with the passage of time have never lost their ageless allure.

History of Kajetánka

1783 – 1830

In 1783, during the reign of Josef II, the Kajetánka monestary was abandoned. After passing through several owners, the estate was finally restored by the Kounic family, who raised an English garden on the land and imported numerous trees, many of which still grace Kajetánka today.

1830 – 1938

By the 1830’s Kajetánka had been turned into a site for the manufacture of wax-cloth before being destroyed by a fire. A new owner converted the ORANGERIE into apartments in 1845 and in 1903 Jan Kolátor, local mayor and entrepreneur, bought Kajetánka to enhance the park with an orchard and sculptures by the artist Vojtěch Sucharda.

1938 – 2014

The property remained in the Kolátor family until 1948, when the estate was confiscated by the Socialist regime, thus heralding the close of Kajetánka’s golden age. Under the regime, the estate served as a youth centre for the Communist party Pioneers and became a leisure time center for Břevnov inhabitants. In recent years the estate was restituted to its owners and it is now, that Kajetánka can finally be returned to its historic glory.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO VIEW LARGE SIZE GALLERY

LUXURY  APARTMENTS PRAGUE 6
Kajetánka logo